This session was again focused on figuring out the technical details of the live feed; I’d sourced a 3m extension for the camcorder cable so that the camera could have more reach and not be stuck in the corner. 3m is still not long enough, though, so I will have to figure out how to find even more length.
These need to cross a big school hall – 3m is not going to cut it.
I will need to ask Murray for some guidance on how many different cameras and angles he wants for the performance. We’ve spoken about filming the performance and working with a live feed; currently we’re only working with one camera – which is now on a tripod – that provides the live feed. However my filming during documenting is usually at the far end of the hall, past where the live feed camera can go without fiddling with the cables, and the cameras cannot record and show the feed at the same time. I will need to hire out other cameras, I think.
My camera is an older model than the RCS cameras; not quite right for the live feed.
After the morning session I took part in my first production meeting – the show is now at the stage where we’re mopping up the parts we haven’t sourced and solidifying ideas for aesthetic. Last week we were looking everywhere for boiler suits for all of the participants, but this is not happening because of time constraints, funding and the variety of sizes in the group; it would be really difficult to find one specific style that would fit everyone. Instead, the second years will wear jumpsuits and the participants will be wearing earth colours. There was no sharing this afternoon so I had the job of going around asking about props and noting sizes for costume; I also did some small bits of documentation here and there. I was glad that I managed to find all of the groups this session, and will take note of where they are all based if I am documenting again.
The costumes for the facilitators.
Today felt like lots of little things were happening over a long period of time, but everything is starting to come together. My role today was to tie up all the small pieces and to outline what is needed in order to move forward. It’s interesting because while I was running around a lot and felt like I was only doing small tasks, what I was doing was actually fairly important – had I not been doing the running around and focusing on the small things, the groups and Murray would have to pay less attention on the performance itself and how it is running. Right now I’m in charge of the afterthoughts, the things that don’t feel important but definitely affect the piece.
I hadn’t actually thought about how time-consuming sourcing materials can be. At first I thought it would be really easy, and sometimes it is, but if you’re looking for enough UV paint to cover around 30 people and they only come in 10ml tubes – and you don’t want to go ridiculously over budget – then you’re going to need to know where to look and how to get it quickly. Then you need to actually remember to pack the things for the day you come in. That’s kind of important.