It’s been a fair while since I’ve updated this blog, and it’s the beginning of a new trimester at my uni, so I thought it made sense to check in on how the songwriting process has been going.
It has been going, but at an incredibly slow pace.
A lot of my songwriting practice so far has been me sitting with a notepad waiting for words to come – I usually do this with performance text, and it usually words come easily. However, music and songs feel like much bigger things, probably because I’m new to it, so I end up with wee snippets of things that could become songs but seem to just cut themselves off. It is very much not a good idea to just sit and wait for words to happen. You’ll either end up with a song about itself (But not in a clever meta sort of way) or you’ll hit a wall.
Another thing that’s probably been at me lately has been workload. I just finished a HUUGE uni project called Into the new, which is basically a graduate show of live art performances. It’s seen as one of the biggest things you work towards on the course, and that takes a lot of time and energy. That process for me was a lot about music as well, so I think I ended up putting a ton of pressure on to clump two things together and it just didn’t mesh.
Taking that on board, I’m going to spend the next few weeks starting fresh. I have (I think) a lot of time to myself over the coming month or so, and so I intend to do a lot of research. I’m going to spend a lot of time listening, and when I’m not listening I’m going to work on some writing exercises. I think what I need is structure and a more set influences, and I’m going to take the time to do that now.
I am going to spend this week listening to varied music and trying to find something that excites me. I am also going to research songwriting and creating music, and will post my research here.
It’s time to get proper cracking with this!